We do our best to build a quality solution that doesn't run into problems, but it's software, and sometimes things don't go according to plan. As Smartcrypt integrates with Active Directory, every installation and ecosystem is a little different. The Smartcrypt Manager has a Support Utility which enables the Smartcrypt Manager to gather low level diagnostics from the system module causing problems. These logs can be gathered and downloaded in the Smartcrypt Manager then sent to PKWARE for an analysis of the issue.
The Smartcrypt Support panel is available in version 15.2.27+ and 16.0.1+ of the Smartcrypt Manager
- Log in to the Smartcrypt Manager.
- After successfully logging in, modify the URL of the Smartcrypt Manager to access the Support page.
- After loading the Support Utility panel, select a different log level for the component you are having issues with from the drop-down menu.
- The hierarchy of logging starts at the bottom and includes all levels above it:
- Trace - <Recommended Troubleshooting Setting> The lowest level. It will create the highest amount of logs, but will enable PKWARE Support to properly troubleshoot the issue.
- Debug - The engineering team leaves debug logs in the product for product work flows. Shows some deeper system calls, but only messages labels as debug.
- Info - <Default Setting> - Displays information messages about the system.
- Warn - This setting will only display warnings from the system. Very few messages will be captured.
- Error - When an error occurs in the system, the event and data about the error will be captured.
- Fatal - Nearly never occurs, only fatal system events are logged. More than likely if fatal issues are occurring, there is a system wide issue.
- After enabling a lower level of logging, perform the action that is causing your system to error or have issues. As the system processes the requests, the log files are captured and stored in the Smartcrypt Manager.
Don't forget to return your Smartcrypt Manager to normal (Info) log levels after the issue(s) have been resolved. This will prevent the Smartcrypt Manager from constantly collecting data and needlessly storing it in the system.
The system is now set up to gather lower level logs from different components in the system. Depending on the issue you are seeing, you might be able to figure out the issue with PKWARE support. If a client is having DNS routing issues, you might be able to learn from the logs what needs to be adjusted. You just need to view the logs.
- To view the events, open the Smartcrypt Manager and open the Event Log menu option.
- In the Event Log, you will see messages, components and log level being displayed.
Downloading the Diagnostic Package
Now that the Smartcrypt Manager has collected the proper logs for PKWARE support to diagnose the issue, the logs need to be downloaded and submitted to PKWARE.
- Open the Smartcrypt Manager and open the Basic menu option.
- In the Server General section, there is a link to "Download Diagnostic Package". Click this link to download a .ZIP file containing the log information.
- If you have a support request open with PKWARE, ask your tech support agent how to submit the ZIP file.
- If you do not have a support request open, please upload the .ZIP file to our support FTP.