Smartcrypt is a small software application running on user’s desktop machines, that performs actions based on instructions it receives from the Smartcrypt Enterprise Manager (SEM) configured by the IT administrative department in your organization.
The Smartcrypt application will automatically attempt to connect to the SEM whenever the desktop system is running. It uses your Windows system username/password to authenticate and establish a connection to the SEM.
HINT: If the Smartcrypt application can’t connect, or if your Windows system password has recently changed, you may be prompted to enter your new Windows username/password for Smartcrypt to recognize the change.
How to Identify Encrypted Smartcrypt Files
After a file has been protected, it is very easy to identify. There are several ways to determine that a file has been encrypted with Smartcrypt.
- A visual indicator of the Smartcrypt icon is displayed on top of the traditional application’s icon.
- The ‘tool tip’ hover information will display ‘Smartcrypt Archive’ as the file type.
Details in Windows Explorer
- In Windows Explorer, the file type column will display ‘Smartcrypt File’ as well as the icon.
To show the original file type, add the ‘Tags’ column:
- On the menu, click View then Add Columns to reveal the selection options.
- Click Tags to add a check mark next to it.
The Tags column will now appear in the list showing the original file type.