The Archive > Support page allows Admins to troubleshoot client issues by retrieving and viewing current client logs.
Setting Up a New Client Log Retrieval
Go to Archive > Support to see your existing configured log retrieval assignments.
- Click Add to add a new retrieval assignment.
- Type a name for this assignment.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the client platforms of the device. You can select multiple platforms.
- Type the full UNC path of the destination folder to deliver the log.
- By default, the Transfer Logs Immediately box is checked to get information on what just happened. Uncheck this box to use Duration to limit the amount of time (in minutes) to retrieve this log.
- Check the Trace box to include a trace file with the log data.
- Save the retrieval assignment
A request for the log will appear on the client, and the manager will show that the log search is Assigned. When the user approves the request, it becomes Pending. When the logs have been uploaded to the destination path, the request becomes Completed. Click the link to view the logs in a ZIP archive.
If there are any problems with log retrieval, it will appear in the Error column. Click the link to identify the problem.
Note: You can also have the user direct the log retrieval on the Windows desktop. Have the user shift-click the PK Protect system tray icon and select Create Support Archive. PK Protect will place the ZIP archive containing the log on the Desktop to send you as an email attachment, or to upload to a preferred location.
Viewing Current Log Retrieval
Go to Archive > Support to see your existing configured log retrieval assignments. Use the Search box to locate a specific assignment.
|Name||Name of the log retrieval instance. This can be anything.|
|Platforms||The operating system of the device(s) you're searching.|
|Destination||Full UNC path to location of retrieved logs|
|Duration||How many minutes of log retrieved|
True: Trace file included
False: No trace file
|Created At||Date and time when this retrieval instance was first added.|
|Updated At||Date and time when this instance was last updated.|
|Assigned||Number of log searches set up, but not started|
|Pending||Number of log retrievals in process|
|Completed||Number of finished jobs|
|Error||Number of completed jobs with issues|
Managing Log Retrievals
Click the Manage link on the right side of the Log Retrieval instance you want to work with. You'll see a list of devices tied to this retrieval instance.
Adding a Device
Click Add to search for an existing device associated with this assignment. Complete one or more fields to target your search. Administrators can use boolean expressions for granular searches with wildcard operators such as "contains" and "ends with". Example scenario below:
- In the first row group
- Click the blue "AND" button. A
- Add two rows by clicking "Add Row" two times.
- Define the details of these two rows.
- Click "Add Group" from the first group to create a second grouping.
- This new group is highlighted by the indent as well as the grey colored line box around it.
- Click "OR" within the new group
- Click the "Add Row" button from the newly created second grouping.
- Define the details of these two rows within this second group
- End Result: There should be two groups, one with 2 rows as AND, and another grouping with 2 rows defined as OR. The resulting boolean can be shown as (A AND B AND (Y OR Z))
|Device||The device column will track the name of the device that reported.|
|Owner Name||This is the name for the user who has logged into a device.|
|Owner Email||This is the email address for the user who has logged into a device.|
|Last Accessed After||Date the device last connected to and authenticated with PK Endpoint Manager. The last accessed date can be helpful in determining activity if there are duplicate entries, such as one user with multiple device.|
|Last Accessed Before|
|Last IP||The IP address associated with the device when it last connected to and authenticated with PEM.|
Re-running a log retrieval
If you need to get a new log with the same criteria (device and duration), Click Manage on the retrieval you want to re-run. Click the Done status link. The process will repeat.